Thursday, September 30, 2010

Question from the mom

Hi, I'm hijacking the blog today to ask if any of you cat parents have seen this behavior before.  

A (hopefully) quick summary of the household.  There are currently 2 girl kitties living here with me.  Fuzzy is 15ish and has been here since 1996.  Zoe is 4 1/2 and has been here almost 1 year.  They are both very comfortable around each other, but they aren't besties.  There is no touching except when they play tag - no grooming or snuggling.  Obviously, Zoe has way more energy than Fuzzy, but she isn't overbearing (most times).

Last week, Zoe started chittering at Fuzzy.  Just like a normal cat would at a bird or a squirrel.  I have never claimed that Zoe is normal.  She is the craziest, weirdest acting cat that I've ever shared a home with.  I don't think that Zoe is stalking Fuzzy - Fuzzy has been stalked by housemates (Snuggles, bad boy) in the past, and she's not acting at all like she did back then.  But it's just so bizarre.  

My first instinct is not to worry about this, that Zoe is just being a nutball.  But a little part of me worries that this may be a bad sign, so I thought I'd check with others.  Have any of you seen anything like this before?

11 comments:

  1. Unless there's fur flying and blood, I wouldn't worry. I've not had that happen with mine, though--chattering at one of the cats. Lots of fighting in my house, especially between Annie and Nicki, but they only chatter at the birds and squirrels. It IS bizarre, but kind of cute, IMO. Just keep an eye on things, but don't worry, if that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had that happen here before but I do know that animals treat older animals different. They kind of pick on them. I guess to establish that they are now taking over since the other cat is older. It must be some kind of cat talk. I would just keep your eye on them and make sure Zoe doesn't go after Fuzzy.
    As far as the Livestrong post goes,see if you can find something yellow in the house and either put it on one of the cats or let them sit on something yellow. I can't do all those graphics either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Island Cats' mom here...I've never seen this before either. It probably isn't anything to worry about, but I would keep an eye on Zoe to make sure nothing escalates out of control. I've noticed with the weather getting cooler, Wally, Ernie and Zoey have been acting a little stranger than normal too. Might just be that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm. We haven't had chittering at another cat. Only at birds and squirrels. I imagine that it is just a new form of communication from Zoe to Fuzzy. Just keep an eye on Zoe for awhile.

    Luf, Us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I haven't seen this at our house either - though I guess when I see them in the window and one is doing it, it is because there is a bird outside (but the curtains are usually closed, so really I can't say 100% of the time that is the case. Anyway, I decided to look online and the noise can also be a sign of excitement or frustration - so it might be that. If you are worried about it, I say keep an eye on them and see the way they are interacting - you have had them long enough that you kind of know them, and will see if there is a problem. I hear a lot of stories about cats acting odd at the season changes so that could be it too. If you are worried it could escalate, you could try adding some rescue remedy to their water - it helps to calm things a bit. We used it with Lola when the kittens moved in and she was much calmer with them (she still showed her dislike in other ways, but was way less hissy and growly). Hopefully it is just excitement, or maybe frustration because she wants to play and Fuzzy doesn't - the age difference thing. Of course, these are just guesses - hopefully it is not anything big, just a big of silliness on Zoe's part.

    And I totally understand about that little part that nags at you - but you know them - you know how they act and you know when they aren't acting normally. Keep in mind that if Zoe hasan't been there a full year, then you haven't seen her at this time of year - so maybe this is normal for her (like somehow she knows fall is starting and the winter is coming). Just keep an eye on them - you will know if this is a no big deal thing or a big deal thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tia's human here. Rescue Remedy is a very, very good option if you notice the behaviour escalating. The noise is excitement, frustration and sometimes, believe it or not, social. It's proposed in some circles that cats do this to each other to indicate that it's time to hunt or there's something worth hunting. It may just be her way of trying to initiate play. Is she doing it in response to anything specific that you've noticed? i.e, after play, at a certain time of night, before feeding etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MeezerMom here - I was just going to suggest Rescue Remedy to ward off anything that might develop from it. I have not seen anything like this with any of my cats- but I have never had 2 females in the house at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen any of our cats doing this behavior either, but it's best to keep an eye out and notice if anything escalates.Probably nothing to worry about.

    purrin
    xo
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Xanthe and Nishiko's Mummy here. My girls are a lot younger than yours but they don't chatter to each other like zoey to fuzzy. The only time that they were acting strangely to each other was when Xanthe came back home from missing for two days. Nishiko kept sniffing at her and then hissing. We assumed that she was unfamiliar with the new smells that Xanthe had brought back with her, but they soon made up after a few days.

    Just keep an eye on both girls. I have heard that cats can sense illness in others. Is fuzzy in good health at the moment?

    Kitty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had it happen, either. Mine do 'talk' to each other, but don't chatter.
    I agree with a couple of others, if there is no blood and/or fur, it's OK.. also keep an eye on them. All in all I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Let us know how things go.
    Giving the blog back to The Bunch now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy lady here - I spoke to one of my vet friends, and they say as well that this is probly just her trying to engage Fuzzy to either play or some sort of interaction. He says as well the Rescue Remedy is a great thing to use.

    I have had talking go on with the dogs, kind of like chattering, that didnt lead anywhere to fights or anything. I like to think its their way of "hashing out" something...lol.

    ReplyDelete